Sunday, July 08, 2007

Heritage updates!

A number of you... albeit a small number... have inquired as to how things are going at Heritage UU Church. I'm more than happy to oblige.

In a nutshell, things are going marvelously. I can honestly say that I understand why many churchgoers churchgo. I did not know a place like this existed and finding a place like Heritage has changed my life for the good.

Some less abstract goings-on:

*Bradley and I attended a Litha (summer solstice) party at a church member's house. There were other congregation members there, as well as members from other UU churches, members of the local pagan organizations, and friends and family of the host. It was an eye-opening and unforgettable experience that culminated in Bradley jumping, fully clothed, into the host's in-ground pool.

*Every other Sunday morning, from 9-10:30am, Heritage holds a religious forum. (The other Sundays are a political forum.) Bradley and I attended the last session ("Heaven and Hell") and this morning's session ("Enlightenment"). Forum is fascinating-- there are such varied schools of thought presented at Heritage... all of them vocal. ;) We want to start visiting the political forum as well, but I'm loathe to relinquish that extra hour of sleep. ;)

*Church members were invited to tour Eastgate's Hindu temple a week or so back, and that was another amazing experience. Not only did we get a mini-tour of the breathtaking temple, but we were encouraged to sit in on a service. It was incredible-- beyond words, really, and something I never would have guessed I'd be doing on a Thursday night in Eastgate.

*As of this morning, I think Bradley and I are on the "communications committee"-- that is, we've volunteered to help structure the HUUC website. *beam* I hope we aren't in over our heads!

*I had my first "solo flight" last week-- Bradley didn't come with me to service, because he was in the HUUC Youth Group. He'll also be joining the Youth Group in August for a retreat that I know little to nothing about. Hahaha...

*Two weeks from now, they're having a service with poetry as a major element, and I was asked to read something of mine! Eek!!

*There is so much other stuff going on in Heritage-- book clubs, film nights, potlucks, yoga classes, folk dancing, Religious Education classes... it can be overwhelming, but in the best possible way. The congregation has been so encouraging (ew, I sound like Jane Goodall or something all of the sudden) and has never pressured us in any way. I find myself always looking forward to something, which is a fantastic feeling for someone who so craves variety and experience.

I'd like to open the floor to any questions about the HUUC experience, hahaha....

5 comments:

david b mclaughlin said...

Eebs-post some of your poetry here. I'd love to read it!

luckeyfrog said...

How big is this church? Are there lots of youth and young adults?

I'm glad it's going so well!

JenLo said...

I can't believe I missed this post! I've been wondering about you guys and stopped by just to see if you'd commented on what was up! So glad I did. Sounds like you guys are doing great.

Anonymous said...

Hi guys,

I happened to discover your review of the church I currently serve (Summerside United Methodist Church) and just wanted to say "thanks" for sharing your perspective. I will pass on the web address to several members of our congregation so they can see our church with fresh eyes.

I will mention that the Sunday you visited did seem to be an off Sunday. The pastor at that time (I was appointed here last Fall after your visit) is known to be a good preacher, so I'm sorry you missed out on hearing him (you must have heard a guest speaker).

Since my arrival, we've continued to work on making our church a welcoming congregation and have improved our follow up for first time visitors. And you will see diversity of ages and backgrounds, especially in our 10:40 service. Our services aren't always perfect, but I hope that lives are touched by God's grace each week. We strive to improve the beauty and depth of meaning in our worship, but there is always more to learn!

Sincerely,
Pastor Blossom
age 31--not geriatric :)

Ryan Mecum said...

id be interested in your thoughts of madeira silverwood presbyterian, which is on miami rd. in madeira.